Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Are you a Mote Hunter?

Are you or do you know someone who always criticizes and finds fault in others? Jesus said that you who are quick to identify/talk about others' problems usually have even worse problems, and you're just like the Pharisees who saw the sins in others (the "mote" in their eyes) but fail to look at their own sins (the "beam" in your eyes). In other words none of us have room to talk about anybody else because we all have problems of our own!

Jesus never came here to criticize any of us or to find motes(faults) in others...and He is the only perfect being to ever walk this earth. Jesus points out that mote hunters (as I call them) are nothing more than hypocrites who need to do a self-inventory. Sometimes I think that God feels like snatching some of us up by the collar to say, " You are the one who needs to make changes in your life rather than your spouse, your children, your neighbor (who seems to frustrates you), even that relative you can't stand or that friend who tells you the truth about yourself!

Do you ever think that it might be YOU who needs to change? "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts". We must get right ourselves so that we can help others. When Jesus looked upon others He saw them as hungry, needing food; as sheep, needing a shepherd; as sick, needing a doctor; and as sinners, needing a Savior!

So what do you see in others, their needs or their motes?

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Pastor Tim. We all need a reminder from time to time to let us know that none of us are perfect and that perhaps we need to work on ourselves before pointing the finger at someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, HB! You've been readng my mail lately! I just did a little self-shaking about this very thing. And I am right there with you re the ready for change, though I still have a few days before I catch up with you age-wise. 8-]

    Have a JESUS-filled day! ^i^

    ReplyDelete