Saturday, December 3, 2011

How do I get to where I want to Go?

I traveled out of town this Thanksgiving for the first time in 32 yrs. My destination was a city that I use to know like the back of my hand, but it has undergone lots of changes over the years. Reluctantly, I had to stop and ask for directions to my destination. It's frustrating to ask for directions from people who either don't know or who give directions which are hard to follow.
This caused me to thinking...there are many people who are trying to find a better way of life...a Godly life! They try following the world's path to a better life but in really have no idea which way to go. Thus, many have decided to simply travel through life, hoping to somehow stumble upon the Godly life. Some have asked direction but have been given such bad advice that they've been going around in circles & got so confused that they stopped looking! I found myself rejoicing in the fact that as a Christian I've found the directions to heaven because I've found Jesus and He has shown me the way. With Him as my guide I now know exactly how to get to heaven once my life is over here on earth!
This message is for those of you who've already taken that first step towards heaven by professing Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior but are not quite sure you're headed down the salvation path. The way isn't complicated because you can get there (heaven) from where you are right now by following these directions:
1) Go to the nearest stop sign - simply stop doing wrong. Luke 13:5 says unless you repent, you will perish. Repentance means a change of heart/mind. When this happens you will want to stop doing anything that you know is displeasing to God (sex outside of marriage, steqling, lying, self-destruction, etc). I repeat, the first step is to go to the nearest stop sign & repent!
2) Turn right - After you stop the obvious sinful activity, you must turn from your evil ways. Zechariah 1:4 tells us, "...Thus saith the Lord of Hosts; Turn ye now from your evil ways, and from your evil doings", but I saythis way...stop throwing rocks & hiding your hand. Others might not know what you do or say but God knows. As a pastor, I klnow that this is where most Christians seem to "Mark time" in their salvation walk. Thjey front for other christians, appearing to be holy but on the inside they have evil black hearts. My word for them...REPENT!
3) Go Straight - If you're on your salvation path, you must walk straight. That's why if it's not right, I suggest you don't take part in it. Even though Jesus encourages every believer to walk the narrow path of righteousness because, as He said, "...Strait is the gate & narrow is the way which leads to life", but sadly only a few will stick/stay because for them the straight path means being free from the addictions that they enjoy in life (alcohol, drugs, nicotine, or anything else that appeals to our sinful nature). The Lord already knows this is the weakness of the flesh, but all you have to do is pray for His help in relieving yourself of these addictions...and He Will Help You!
Now there is one thing about good directions, they will include landmarks to let you know you're headed the right way. So, if you want to make it into heaven, go to the nearest stop sign, turn right, and walk straight until you see the cross on the hill! Don't worry when your journey gets weary & depressing for when you look up & see the cross on the hill, it will give you courage enough to keep on going! That's why David said, :I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills fro whence cometh my help, my help cometh from the Lord who made heaven & earth!" There's power in the cross, slavation is in the cross, and there is redemption in the cross. That's because it was on the cross that Jesus died for our sins and it was on the cross that He paid the price of our salvation. Therefore, if you want to know how to get to heaven, you must be willing to follow the trail of the cross. My final thoughts on this blog wraps it all up from a song I taught my choir years ago...Follow Jesus, take no chance getting lost; follow Jesus there'll be deserts you have to cross; follow Jesus, He's got a safe mountain plan; and if AJesus can't take you to the top, there's nobody else who can. God bless the readers of this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment