Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Do You Practice "Fig Leaf" Righteousness?

Have you ever played hide & seek with your children? I remember playing it with my daughter and when it was her turn to hide, I'd count to 10 & say "ready or not, here I come". I always knew where she hid because her little butt always stuck out from behind the object that she thought kept her from my view (in her mind, she probably thought, "Daddy can't see me because I can't see him!"). And, even though I saw her I'd pretend to keep looking so she could run back to the base.

This made me think about how we act towards God today and how it all started with Adam & Eve. When God called out to them, He already knew where they were, but He did it to make them fully aware of their sin (eating the forbidden fruit...disobedience!). Like my daughter, Adam & Eve probably thought that because they couldn't see God, He couldn't see them. And ever since, people have been playing Hide & Seek with God. Some hide in materialism (working several jobs to buy more things, even choosing to work on Sundays rather than attend church), others hide in the pleasures of this world (too busy having a good time to be bothered with God); but it doesn't matter where we try to hide, God sees all & knows all things!

Who we are today is a direct result of this Genesis story. Despite God's warning Adam & Eve sinned and when God came to them they tried to hide by donning fig leaves. Some of us today practice what I call "fig leaf" righteousness because we try to cover ourselves by doing "good works"! In our minds we say, Lord I messed but I fixed it...I'm a good person, not a sinner. But fig leaves were inadequate when Adam & Eve stood before God, just like our good works will be useless at Judgment day! For He knows that we commit our sins in secret and present a false face to the public but on the day of reckoning our deeds will be exposed and we will be judged by Jesus Christ!

Yet, there is reason to hope. Even though Adam & Eve should have been punished by death for their sin, God granted them mercy...an animal died in their stead. Although their sin was exposed & their nakedness was a symbol of it, Adam & Eve didn't have to remain naked, because God covered their sin. And even though we show our guilt by trying to hide from God as well as one another, I want you to remember that Jesus Christ has already died on the cross for our sins; the penalty has already been paid, and just as God covered Adam & Eve, believers today are covered by Jesus' blood and clothed in His righteousness!

So why are you trying to hide from God? Stop fooling yourself...YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment